Is Westworld’s Bernard just Dr. Ford’s vehicle for Arnold?
By now, Westworldfans are split into two camps regarding Bernard’s identity: He’s either a meddling human or a liberating robot.
If you’re in the Bernard-is-human camp, you’ll point to Bernard’svideo chat withhiswife, the tragedy of his son’s death and his covert talks with Dolores as evidence he’s a flesh-and-blood man wrestlingwith grief and sympathy.
And if you’re in the Bernard-is-a-robot faction, you’ll point to the same evidence for entirely different reasons: Bernard is a robot being manipulated by Dr. Ford to program hosts. Bernard’swife and son, Charlie? They’re just part of a back story meant to keephim anchored. Why else would Dr. Ford so callously remind Bernard of his son’s death? Why else would video conferences happen in a public room? Why else would Bernard’s son mysteriously die on a hospital bed in a worldwe’re told by Dr. Ford is free of fatal disease?
Why does Dr. Ford need Bernard?
But if Bernard is a robot, why would Dr. Ford need him? Aren’t there plenty of talented, living programmers available who are more obedient, more malleable and less obsessed with questions of consciousness?
Maybe Dr. Ford doesn’t need a living programmer. Maybe he needs the help of someone who’s no longer alive.
Arnold, if you didn’t catch Westworld’s most exposition-rich scene to date, is Dr. Ford’s deceased partner. We’re told this genius was a founder of Westworld but fell prey to the seduction of treating hosts as humans. And he died before Bernard began his workatthe park.
So, let’s review:
- Feels sympathy and loyalty to the hosts
- Works hand-in-hand with Dr. Ford
- Has a mysteriousback story
- Risks life and reputation to empower hosts and increase their abilities
Sound like someone you know?
The Dolores connection
Let’s take it a step further: Bernard specifically works with one host: Dolores. He claims she’s “different.” We know Dolores is the original host. Is Bernard finishing the work Arnold started with Dolores?
We’ve witnessed so many Westworld characters battling their demons. Now it looks as ifwe’ve seen a ghost.
- Android: https://shatontv.com/westworld-android
- Apple/iTunes: https://shatontv.com/westworld-itunes
- Twitch: https://shatontv.com/twitch
Help Support the Podcast
- Support with Paypal – https://shatontv.com/paypal
- Support With Venmo – https://venmo.com/ShatPodcasts
- Shop / Merchandise: https://shatontv.com/shop
- Shop Amazon With Our Affiliate Link – https://www.amazon.com/?tag=shatmovies-20
- Sponsor’s Listener Survey – https://shatontv.com/survey
- Leave an iTunes Review – https://shatontv.com/westworld-review
- Leave a Voicemail – (914) 719-SHAT – (914) 719-7428
- Feeds & Social Media – https://shatontv.com/subscribe-and-follow/
- Check out our Movie Podcast – http://shatthemovies.com
- WebPlayer (All Episodes) – https://shatontv.com/westworld-web-player
- Theme Song – “The Ecstasy Of Gold” (Hip Hop Instrumental Version) by Dj 2 Bad
- Outro Music – By Simon Eric Haywood