That’s Not Shakamak State Park
Glad you are back officially. Westworld to Taboo and now American Gods. You know how to pick’em! I did not read the Gaiman book but thankfully for the pause button, IMDB and the world wide web, I can read up on the deities being covered in the show.
A couple things: (1) Shakamak State Park, an Indiana State Park, was briefly shown in the first episode. Living in Indiana, although never having visited the park, I am certain this was not the actual park represented in the episode. The scene looked more like a park in New Mexico. Minor detail to most, but living in Indiana it is definitely a misstep. (2) Here’s a fun fact. The Indiana State Seal shows a buffalo, which is intended to “represent the wilderness fleeing westward away from the advancing civilization.” As it relates to the show, possibly representative of the old gods competing with the new gods (maybe I am reaching). And (3) I am waiting for a fan to make a Google map of the route Shadow and Wednesday are taking.
I thoroughly enjoy the symbolism in this show. I had to watch the first episode twice because I was not expecting so many subtle references. I am certain there is so much I have missed and hope to pick up on as the season continues. Anxious for everything to come full-circle.
Keep up the good work!
Help Support the Podcast
- Support With Venmo – https://venmo.com/ShatPodcasts
- Shop Amazon With Our Affiliate Link – https://www.amazon.com/?tag=shatmovies-20
- Leave an iTunes Review – https://shatontv.com/american-gods-review
- Leave a Voicemail – (914) 719-SHAT – (914) 719-7428
- Donate with Paypal – https://shatontv.com/paypal
- Feeds & Social Media – https://shatontv.com/subscribe-and-follow/
- Checkout our Movie Podcast – http://shatthemovies.com