Is Every God Racist?
This episode was great, but I have no qualm with how heavy handed the message was in this episode. It’s the first time I felt it. I literally threw up my hands when we met Vulcan and yelled, Is every God racist!
I’m not sure if they are playing up to the American epithet that racism is simply ingrained within the soil and thus the Gods mindsets are prone to this behavior, but this hammering of the stance is making me feel like I’m being told instead of given information to facilitate my own conclusion. They are also making it a very black and white issue which is not true of all racism. Blacks hate blacks, Mexicans hate blacks, blacks hate Asians, so on and so forth.
So the white devil being personified is not the only form of racism in America. I guess what I’m asking is when is it too much? Do you feel like it’s becoming something ad nauseaum?
I am proud of the show for shining light on the issue plights of many cultures. But every time Shadow walks in a room, he’s demoralized with flippant and oftentimes direct racism. Which is weird with the older Gods as civilization was not pure white when their ascension became. If you follow the theory of evolution, man migrated from Africa.
It could also be that the repeated scene of a noose and a tree has everything to do with Odin and yetthe Gods themselves are introduced prior.
I wonder if this is why Biliquis has been missing. With all this negativity surrounding race, will any person of color rise to be a hero? Mr. Nancy seems to represent a more destructive personality in the face of oppression. Will Biliquis be the more heroic story? I kind of feel like after all this shit people pf color have endured just within the last 6 episodes I need one story that gives hope. But I never read the book so I could be totally wrong about what her character is for.
Thanks again for all you do.
Help Support the Podcast
- Support with Paypal – https://shatontv.com/paypal
- Support With Venmo – https://venmo.com/ShatPodcasts
- Shop Amazon With Our Affiliate Link – https://www.amazon.com/?tag=shatmovies-20
- Sponsor’s Listener Survey – https://shatontv.com/survey
- Leave an iTunes Review – https://shatontv.com/american-gods-review
- Leave a Voicemail – (914) 719-SHAT – (914) 719-7428
- Feeds & Social Media – https://shatontv.com/subscribe-and-follow/
- Checkout our Movie Podcast – http://shatthemovies.com